Friday, June 22, 2007

Birthday Blues

What am I supposed to say, don't go to your daughter's birthday party? What kind of horrible person would that make me? I've been telling myself all week that I was not going to make a big deal out of this, that I was going to be mature and understanding, that I wasn't going to crash the party and make a scene. But damn it that sucks!

H's birthday is really a week a way, but since she and her mother will be going on vacation for 2 weeks starting Monday(thank God!), the party will be early, tomorrow to be exact. Its at S's house, which means there is no chance that I am invited (on purpose I'm sure), but of course he has to go, and I have to let him. His entire family will be there because they don't get the whole, "your loyalty should lie with your blood relation and whom ever he is with presently, not the mother of your grandchild, niece or cousin. And that doesn't mean you love the child any less." But I'll have to deal with that in another post. Besides the fact that they all feel sorry for her because she doesn't have any family here, neither do I. I've already decided that I will do my hair to occupy my time, its something I'll need to do this weekend anyway and it will surely keep me busy for the three hours or so that he'll be gone. But as the day draws near, I can't help feeling more annoyed by the whole idea. I know she'll probably pretend that they are a happy little family again, pretend that I am not his wife now, that I don't even exist. And he will have no choice but to smile and play along because he wants his child to have a drama free and happy birthday party, after all, its what she deserves. And it is what I will give her, because I love her too. Even though this is hard for me, I know my feelings are not the most important in this situation. As hard as it is, we all (including me) have to try to do what is best for H.

I know E. has very poor communication skills when it come to S. (and sometimes me), he is the typical avoid confrontation at all costs male, so they have yet to agree upon keeping as many things as possible on neutral territory. I know it is going to take time for all of this to evolve, from what I've read a minimum of three years, but with an over bearing step-wife, with no man or life of her own, H. could be graduating High School before this settles down. I knew what I was signing up for, and I'm still in it for the long haul... there's always her birthday next year.

1 comment:

Cynnie said...

baby girl , as hard as it is..
dont begrudge your inlaws their time with their grandchild/niece/nephew ..

that they want to go to the party is a good thing..and all the loyalty they show this child and its mother ,
they will show you and your children..

while he's at the party go have a pedicure..do something fun..

make sure the present he gives has both your names on it .

as time goes by you'll become more a part of things..and i'll bet the ex even loosens up and stops being such a cow.